Obstetrics and Gynaecology
Obstetrics and Gynaecology is a healthcare speciality that further branches out into two subspecialties - Obstetrics (concerning postpartum period, pregnancy, and childbirth) and Gynaecology (concerning the female reproductive system: vagina, ovaries, uterus, and breasts).
There are a range of subspecialties and divisions within the Obstetrics and Gynaecology department, the availability of which may depend on the healthcare institution as well:
- Paediatric and adolescent gynaecology
- Menopausal and geriatric gynaecology
- Cosmetic gynaecology
- Maternal-foetal medicine: Also known as perinatology, maternal-foetal medicine is an obstetrical subspecialty concerning the surgical and medical treatment of critical pregnancies and operation of the foetus with the aim to reduce morbidity and mortality.
- Gynaecological oncology: This branch of Obstetrics and Gynaecology treats women (medically and/or surgically) with cancer in the reproductive organs.
- Reproductive endocrinology and infertility: A discipline focusing on the causes and treatment of infertility.
- Female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery: This domain focuses on treating women suffering from pelvic prolapses and urinary incontinence. They employ a range of procedures (sometimes) involving surgery.
- Advanced laparoscopic surgery
- Family planning: This subspecialty offers training in pregnancy termination (abortion) and contraception.
About Obstetrics and Gynaecology
An Obstetrics and Gynaecology physician or a consultant gynaecologist may employ a range of Surgical and Medical procedures to get the desired and apt patient outcome, such as:
- Colposcopy: This is also known as a Pap smear screening. If the test reports detect some abnormalities, a further, thorough examination of the vaginal tissues and cervix might be warranted by the advising practitioner.
- Loop electrical excision procedure (LEEP): This procedure aims to quickly eliminate abnormal vaginal tissues that’s within the cervix. A blend of solution is used to cure the points of removal and local anaesthesia is employed during the procedure.
- Endometrial biopsy: This test helps check for abnormal cells and cancer by collecting a tissue sample from the endometrium lining of the uterus.
- IUD insertion: This is an intrauterine device that is inserted through the cervix and placed inside the uterus. This process falls under the concept of reversible contraceptive process, and hence, can be performed at a doctor’s clinic also.
- Nexplanon: A method of birth control, this consists of a 4cm implant that makes its way into the forearm where it releases certain hormones that last up to 3 years. This procedure is also believed to provide a 99% success rate for contraception.
- Dilation and curettage (D&C): This process is majorly used to gather specimens of the endometrial tissue with the help of a curette. This procedure involves dilating the cervix. In case of a miscarriage, this method also helps in the removal of the dead foetus from the mother’s body.
- Tubal ligation: Also known as ‘Tying the Tubes’, this is an irreversible contraceptive method.
- Ovarian cystectomy: As the name suggests, this method is employed only when there is a developed cyst that’s larger than 3 inches and poses a threat for danger and/or cancerous or extremely painful conditions.
The Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology at Aster Hospitals is among the most comprehensive healthcare facilities for women, providing world-class Maternity and Gynaecology services in a safe and quality assured multidisciplinary setting.
Aster Hospitals also maintains one of the best high-risk Pregnancy Care facilities in the country, with a Critical Care unit in the delivery suite for the benefit of obstetric patients. The medical team, which includes internationally trained Specialists, Nurses and Ancillary Staff, follows stringent international protocols to render optimal, evidence-based medical care to patients. At Aster Hospitals, we believe that patients and their families should have access to high-quality healthcare at a centre that they can trust.
The surgical procedures performed at the department include:
- Total Laparoscopic Hysterectomy
- Laparoscopic treatment for ectopic pregnancy
- Normal Delivery
- Caesarean Delivery
- Care of miscarriage
- Laparoscopic removal of Adnexal Cysts
- Cervical Cerclage
The Gynaecology division provides services such as: Hormonal dysfunctions management Irregular menstrual cycle management Acute, repeated and chronic pelvic infection management Premarital counselling Pre-conception counselling Premenopausal and post–menopausal counselling Cancer awareness and prevention Cryocauterization Management of disorders like PCOS/PCOD, Obstetric ultrasound Surgical management of Endometriosis, Fibroids, etc. Laparoscopic/ Minimally Invasive Surgeries ensuring minimal incisions & faster recovery.
Obstetrics and Gynaecology is the medical speciality that deals with pregnancy & childbirth. Obstetrics and Gynaecology are concerned with women’s health and a specialised doctor of this department is known as an obstetrician gynaecologist. Get Information and treatment about polycystic ovary syndrome, PCOS treatment, polycystic ovaries, hysterectomy surgery, laparoscopic hysterectomy, prolapsed uterus, endometriosis treatment, uterus removal, fibroids treatment, menstrual bleeding, laparoscopic myomectomy (laparoscopic), tubal pregnancy removal, endometriosis surgery, laparoscopy endometriosis, best treatment for endometriosis, ovarian cyst removal, uterine fibroids, multiple uterine fibroids, ectopic pregnancy treatment, polycystic ovary syndrome symptoms polycystic ovarian syndrome causes, polycystic ovaries treatment, polycystic ovaries symptoms, polycystic ovaries pregnancy, uterus removal surgery, PCOS specialist Dubai, PCOS treatment in Dubai, Irregular periods, irregular periods treatment in Dubai.
Clinical Services Comprehensive well woman & well baby clinic State of the art delivery suites and midwifery services Neonatal Intensive Care Unit III Advanced radiological facilities Management of high risk obstetrics including multiple pregnancies, IUGR, pregnancy induced hypertension, gestational diabetes and endocrine disorders.
Why choose Aster Hospitals?
A fast growing chain of hospitals, Aster Hospitals is known for its pioneering and advanced healthcare in multiple spheres, including clinical gynaecology. Never content to rest on its laurels, Aster is constantly seeking opportunities to set new yardsticks with advanced developments. With many more innovative and ambitious initiatives, we have radically catalysed the healthcare revolution across the Middle East, India and the Far East. With one of the world's best Obstetrics and Gynaecology departments that boasts a team of experienced and highly accomplished practitioners, clinicians, and doctors, Aster Hospitals is a symbol of distinction when it comes to quality healthcare and reliable diagnostics.