Oral cancer treatment in Dubai
Oral cancer can affect anybody. But the individuals who use tobacco, drink lots of alcohol, have HPV, or have a history of head or neck cancer, are more vulnerable to the disease. Statistically, men have more risk of experiencing oral cancer than women. One should visit the best Oncologists in Dubai immediately, if they have cancer symptoms.
Some of the common oral cancer symptoms are:
- Ear pain
- Bleeding or pain in the mouth
- Swelling in the jaw
- Unexplained weight loss
- Mouth ulcers or sores that do not heal
- Development of velvety white, red, or speckled (white and red) patches in the mouth
Few common Oral cancer treatments
Surgery is often used by doctors to treat patients with early stages of cancer. During surgery, the doctor will remove the tumour and some tissues inside the mouth. Sometimes, the doctors may also remove a part of the tongue, the jaw bone, and lymph nodes. Some patients may need reconstructive surgery if the treatment affects their speaking or eating ability.
This treatment is often used to treat early to advanced levels of cancer. In this treatment, doctors use radiation particles or x-rays to destroy cancer cells their ability to reproduce. The treatment is given through external beam radiation, where a machine targets the cancer cells through radiation beams. Another treatment that falls under radiation therapy is brachytherapy. Doctors recommend this therapy for people with early stages of tongue cancer.
What are the side effects of radiation therapy?
- Patients may experience tooth decay, mouth sores, fatigues, gum bleeding, jaw bleeding, and skin reactions such as burns.
- Radiation therapy is likely to be more effective in people who don’t smoke or have quit them.
- Sometimes, a patient may only need radiation therapy if their cancer is in the early stages. But doctors often prefer combining with other therapy to prevent the risk of cancer progression.
Chemotherapy is often used to treat cancer using strong drugs that destroy the DNA of the cancer cells. This therapy is used with radiation therapy if cancer is widespread. The drug used in the treatment weakens the reproduction ability of the cancer cells. The treatment is considered one of the effective oral cancer treatments, but it can sometimes destroy healthy tissues. Some of the severe effects of chemotherapy may include fatigue, nausea and vomiting, hair loss, and weak immunity. This side effect usually goes away once the patient finishes their treatment.
In this therapy, the doctor heats the region that is affected by cancer to destroy the cells. Hyperthermia therapy can also boost the sensitivity of cancer cells to radiation therapy.
Prevention is better than cure
You can prevent oral cancer by following these:
- Quit smoking tobacco or don’t start it
- Don’t drink excessively
- Avoid chewing betel nuts
- Regularly conduct dental check-ups
- Get HPV vaccine
Diet also plays a vital role in cancer prevention. Try to eat a balanced diet regularly.